Bringing hope to those in need
25 million nutritious cups of Royco® Soup bring hope to people in need
The Shoprite Mobile Soup Kitchens serve over 400 000 cups of Royco® Soup every month to schools, day care centres, shelters, children’s homes and old age homes with daily stops including weekends. The areas visited by the mobile soup kitchens stretch throughout South Africa.
In a bid to improve the nutritional status of South Africans who fight hunger and malnutrition every day, Royco®, one of South Africa’s leading soup brands and a founding partner of the Shoprite Mobile Soup Kitchen, is enriching its soups with essential nutrients.
Founded from humble beginnings in 2007 with just four trailers serving Royco® Soup and bread to hungry communities, the Shoprite Mobile Soup Kitchens celebrated a significant milestone in November 2015 with a total of 25 million cups of Royco® Soup served across the country.
Through Royco®‘s innovation and dedication to improve the health of the nation, people dependent on these mobile soup kitchens now benefit from a more comprehensive nutrient intake from fortified Royco® Soup, which for many is their only meal of the day.
In a country where only 1 in 5 families are food secure and hunger and micronutrient deficiency are a reality, especially amongst children and the elderly, we believe that the communities served by these mobile soup kitchens benefit significantly from the fortification of our bulk Royco® Soup powders,explains Lisa Ronquest, Director of Research and Development of Mars Africa, producers of Royco Soup.
Since June 2011, the specially developed, fortified Royco® Soups served at the soup kitchens contain the key added nutrients Vitamin A, Iron and Zinc, identified as beneficial by the World Health Organisation for public health in developing countries (see full nutritional details of soup kitchen servings in table below).
After substantial tests and trials conducted with DSM Nutritional Products, Royco® was able to develop a unique bulk soup product fortified with minerals and vitamins able to withstand the shelf life and cooking process without affecting the great taste of the soup.
Recipients of the Shoprite feeding program nationally now receive these fortified soups with two slices of bread that provide commendable percentages of the recommended daily allowance for essential vitamins and minerals, said Ronquest who believes this initiative provides substantial social support for those living under ongoing economic pressure in the less privileged sectors of society where unemployment is rife.
Through providing for this most basic need is hunger and these cups of fortified Royco® Soup improve school attendance and help school children concentrate, ultimately giving them hope for a better future, she added.
Royco® is committed to continue enriching the lives of South Africans in need with the hope of giving them the opportunity for a better future.
Sign up to Let's Eat!
For delicious recipes, handy tips & exciting ideas for your family's favourite meals!
Rules for Royco® Let's Eat! Competition ("the Competition")
For delicious recipes, handy tips & exciting ideas for your family's favourite meals!
- This Competition is organised by Mars Africa (Pty) Ltd. and prizes are provided by Mars Africa (Pty) Ltd. The Competition is open to any natural person older than 18 years of age ("the Participant"), residing in South Africa.
By entering this Competition, the Participant agrees to and understands that he or she is
bound by these rules and thereby gives the consents referred to in these rules.
Entry Mechanics: How the Competition works
- To enter the Competition, the Participant must sign up to the Royco® Let'sEat! digital platform either via a Facebook Lead Ad or via the sign-up form at the www.royco.co.za website.
One additional entry will be granted for each friend that a Participant refers via the
sign-up form on the www.royco.co.za website.
General rules: Entry
- A Participant may only enter the Competition by signing up via a Facebook Lead Ad or via the sign-up form at the www.royco.co.za website.
- If a Participant has any questions about how to enter, the rules or the prize draw, he/she may, during business hours, contact Mars Africa at the following electronic mail address email@example.com
- Participants may enter this Competition as many times as they like.
- Directors, members, partners, employees, agents or consultants of/or any person who directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by Mars Africa, and any supplier of goods or services in connection with the Competition, and their the spouses, life partners, business partners and immediate family members are not eligible to enter the Competition nor to win the R2 000 Royco® Hamper.
- The Competition is open for entries from 24 June 2016 and will end at 12h00 on 15 August 2016 ("the Entry Period"). Any entries received after the Entry Period will not be valid and therefore not considered.
- Mars Africa shall not be responsible for entries to the Competition that are received after the Entry Period has expired or not received at all for any reason whatsoever including, by way of example only, as a consequence of communications or network failures.
- There is no fee charged to enter the Competition. The winners of the Competition will be determined by a random draw from all the entrants.
- The determination of the winners is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners of the Competition will be contacted telephonically on 16 August 2016 after 9 am.
- Subject to clause 3.11 below, Participants understand that all information (including these rules) relating to this Competition, published on any promotional or advertising material, short message service, online media or electronic mail, at any time before or during the Entry Period, will form part of the terms and conditions of the Competition.
- All warranties and representations in relation to the prizes not set out in these rules (whether express, implied or tacit) are hereby excluded.
Participants (and winners) indemnify Mars Africa, its directors, affiliates,
members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors
against any loss, claims, damages and costs, either direct, indirect, consequential or
otherwise, arising from their participation in this Competition, the provision of the
prizes, or any act or omission of any other person.
- On entering the Competition, participants stand a chance to win a R2 000 Royco® Hamper. There will be 1 winner in total. The prize will be drawn after the Entry Period expires. The draw will take place on 16 August 2016 and Mars Africa will attempt to contact the winners telephonically during business hours on 16 August 2016. Three attempts will be made to contact the winner at the number/email address provided by the Participant on the sign-up form.
- Prizes are not exchangeable for cash and are not transferable.
- A Participant who wishes to claim a prize shall be required to produce proof of identity that is to Mars Africa's satisfaction, to prove that the Participant is the winner and 18 years or older. If a Participant cannot provide proof that he or she has complied with all of the Competition rules to Mars Africa's satisfaction, the Participant agrees that he or she shall not be entitled to the prizes and shall have no claims against Mars Africa.
- Mars Africa confirms that it shall ensure that an independent accountant, registered auditor, attorney or advocate oversees and certifies the Competition results and this will be reported in Mars Africa's internal audit reporting procedures. The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Mars Africa may, with permission of the winners, publish the winners' names and photographs in any advertising, promotional, print, point of sale or public relations material for a period of 12 (twelve) months from the end of the Competition period, without compensation. Participants are entitled to decline this request.
- These rules shall be governed by the laws of South Africa. Each Participant consents to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Western Cape High Court, in respect of all matters arising out of, or in connection with, the Competition or these rules.
- If any provision of these rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, then that provision shall be severed from these rules and the remainder of the rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining provisions.
It is not intended that any provision of these rules contravenes any provision of the
Consumer Protection Act, 68 of 2008 ("the Act"), and therefore all provisions of
these rules must be treated as being qualified, if necessary, to ensure that the
provisions of the Act are complied with.