Royco Let's Eat! — Articles
Find out a little more about your family. What was your great great grandmother’s name? What’s your mom’s favourite flower… download your printable conversation cards here.Read More
Make your own cheap and easy ‘Hot Box’! A ‘Hot Box’ is usually made up of two cushions filled with polystyrene. But did you know the same effect can be created by simply wrapping a pot in some blankets or a sleeping bag? Food such as rice, porridge, soups or stews that have been brought […]Read More
Brown Onion Soup = Mouth-watering Meatloaf
INGREDIENTS: 2 eggs, beaten 1/3 cup tomato sauce 3/4 cup water 1 packet Royco® Brown Onion soup mix 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs 1 kg lean beef mince METHOD: Heat the oven to 180° C In a large bowl combine the eggs, tomato sauce, water and soup powder and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and beef […]Read More
Brown Onion Soup = Best Potato Bake. Ever.
INGREDIENTS: 4 large potatoes 1 tsp butter 1 large onion 2 cloves garlic, crushed 250ml cream 1 pkt Royco® Brown Onion Soup salt and pepper to taste 1 cup grated cheddar METHOD: Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Lightly butter a large, shallow oven-proof dish Wash the potatoes well and slice thinly. Slice onion into thin […]Read More
Brown Onion Soup into Chicken Apricot Casserole
INGREDIENTS: 6-8 portions of chicken (thighs are best) 1 onion sliced 25ml Sunflower oil or 1 TBS butter 1 cup Apricot Juice (I small Liqui-fruit) 1 packet Royco® Brown Onion Soup 1 tin apricots (drained) Salt and pepper to taste OPTIONAL EXTRA 6 prunes de-pipped METHOD: Preheat the oven to 180° C. Put the oil […]Read More
Make the match Bingo!
MAKE THE MATCH! FIND SOMEONE WHO: Has been to an outdoor rock concert Likes sushi Laughed so hard they cried Introduced someone by the wrong name Has eaten escargot (snails) Has visited another continent Has danced the macarena Can speak a romantic language Hates chocolate Has the letter x in their name Been to a […]Read More
Home-made cauli rice
Here’s a quick and easy way to make cauli ‘rice’ – the perfect low carb accompaniment to our brand-new hearty Beef Hot Pot! Cauliflower Rice Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings 6 Ingredients 1/2 cauliflower cut into pieces salt to taste Instructions Blitz the cauliflower in blender until […]Read More
Food for thought
Every day we waste about 2 tonnes of food: we leave it on our plates, we buy too much which lands up rotting in our fridges. Supermarkets and restaurants throw it out. Farmers reject it if it’s “ugly” – think peaches that aren’t perfectly round. When you sit around the table tonight, talk about why […]Read More
Top tips for healthy meal planning
Tip 1: Create a Meal Plan for the Week Deciding on a meal for each night makes it easy to buy ingredients, prep ahead, reduce waste PLUS it saves time and money. It also makes it easier to carve out time for sharing dinner at the table. Tip 2: Prep Ahead Do a little […]Read More
How to pack your fridge like a pro
Here’s how to organise your fridge from top to bottom. Milk should be on the bottom at the back where it’s coldest. Ditto for these dairy products: yoghurt, sour cream, and cottage cheese Butter and soft cheeses can live in the dairy compartment on the door. (Remember to pack soft cheese like Brie and goats’ […]Read More
Buying delicious seasonal veggies and fruits means that you are eating the best tasting available produce. It’s got more flavour because it’s picked in its prime It’s grown locally so it doesn’t spoil on long trips It costs less for farmers to harvest and distribute to your local store The best reason of all? It […]Read More
What’s on the menu for 2017?
Look out for these big trends Every year there’s a wave of IT foods. You know- chia seeds, turmeric sprinkled on everything, coconut oil. Want to know what you’re going to need to make your family dinners even more nutritious, and interesting, in 2017? Read on… Cabbage is cool Our grannies did it. Their gogos […]Read More
Meatballs 4 ways…
1. Meatballs in Tomato Sauce Preparation Time: 15 min Cook Time: 30-40 min Serves: 4 Ingredients: ROYCO® Roast Meat Gravy ¼ onion, grated 800 g beef mince 2 x 400 g tins Tomato & Onion Mix Method: Prepare the ROYCO® gravy according to packet instructions, allow to cool. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the onions, beef mince […]Read More
Make it fun for the whole family with a mystery box challenge!
Whether you’re a family of mini masterchefs, or just want to mix things up a little in the kitchen, why not make cooking dinner a family affair? Simply introduce a mystery box of ingredients and see how it can add so much more fun to your food and family time! 1. Pick your teams Start […]Read More
How to freeze your veggies
1. Freeze them when they’re at their peak of freshness. 2. Blanch first, then submerge in ice water. 3. Store in heavy-weight, air-tight containers or freezer bags. 4. Remove as much air as possible from the bags. 5. Pop them in the freezer. NB: Some vegetables can’t be frozen such as lettuce, cucumber, kale, radishes, […]Read More
Something we’ve all been stuck with before…
Tap the lid with a knife or spoon Try to open it with a damp cloth Try open it while wearing a pair of rubber gloves Run the lid under hot water Get someone stronger than you to open it! Turn it upside down and give it a hard bang on the kitchen counterRead More
It’s 2017. Power to the Plants!
Veggie Chakalaka: Ingredients 1/4 cup olive oil 3 cloves garlic (crushed) 1 and 1/2 onions chopped 1 tbsp. grated ginger 3 red chillies (roughly chopped) 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 tbsp. Royco® Minestrone Packet Soup/Chakalaka Regular Packet Soup 2 tbsp. chutney 1 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce 1 can chickpeas 3 handfuls spinach Veg of […]Read More
What in the world?
We’re so up for trying something new and there are some awesomely unusual veggies right here on our doorstep. Take your kids and your taste buds on a culinary adventure and try them out! Romanesco: This beautiful veg is part of the brassica family (broccoli etc). It’s not only delicious, it looks great on […]Read More
Budget beaters for 2017
With the festive season over and the new year just settling in, some of us might be feeling that post-holiday financial pinch… But the good news is that there are always ways to beat the budget – especially when it comes to your family’s favourite meals. Budget beater #1 Cook in larger amounts and freeze […]Read More
Let’s Eat recipe planners
Download your Royco® recipe planner filled with delicious recipes for the month of January here. If you would like to fill in your own recipes, you can download a blank Royco® recipe planner here.Read More
Freeze ‘em flat
How to Freeze Soup/Stews/Curries and take up less space in the freezer. Cool. Package.Label and date zip-lock plastic freezer bags, place in a bowl and cuff the bag over the edge. Ladle soup into each one, let out excess air and seal. Freeze.Lay bags flat in a single layer in the freezer; when frozen, stack […]Read More
How to fold a tree napkin
Add a little extra delight to your festive table with these fun tree napkins! Just follow these easy steps.Read More
Festive Candle Holders
What you need: Drinking glasses or glass jars Paper doilies Tea light candles Craft glue (Pritt works too) Instructions: Cut doilies to size Glue them on one side Wrap around glass jar and press to stick Pop a tealight candle inside Place on your festive table and create a lovely ambience with your Royco® […]Read More
Bunny chow, is one of South Africa’s favourite dishes…. this simple hollowed out loaf of bread is filled with curry (and is especially delicious when there is LOTS of gravy to soak up!) Make it with lamb, beef, chicken, mince or vegetables. The choice is yours! Serves 2/4 Durban Chicken Bunny Chow Ingredients 1 […]Read More
Banting? Try our delicious Parmesan & Garlic cauli bake
Preparation Time: 45-60 min Serves: 4 SIMPLY ADD: 1 packet Royco® Parmesan and Garlic Potato Bake 1 large head of cauliflower broken into pieces 400 ml cold milk OVEN BAKE: 45 – 60 minutes Mix packet contents with a small amount of the milk & mix to a smooth paste. Slowly stir in the rest & mix […]Read More
Do you know your Bokkoms from your Smileys?
Take our SA food quiz and find out! 1. Name 5 ingredients used to make Chakalaka. 2. Smileys are cooked sheep’s heads. True or False? 3. The West Coast is famous for dried harders (fish biltong). What are they called? 4. True or False? Bunny chow that uses only a quarter loaf of bread is […]Read More
Name your night
When your family has something to look forward to, especially something regular, they get super excited knowing what to expect when they come to the dinner table. We ‘name our nights’ which means we have regular family rituals that make our mealtimes unique. Monday is, of course, Meatless Monday. Or Mzansi Mondays. We mix it up on a Monday, […]Read More
What sauce with which pasta?
There are so many kinds of pasta shapes available, it’s often hard to know which sauce you should pair with which pasta. Never fear! In general, Italians don’t serve thick sauces with thin pasta ribbons. They prefer to use large shells or tubes or thicker long pasta, like tagliatelle because they ‘capture’ the sauce. Think […]Read More
How to make Macaroni Angels
You’ll need: 20mm wooden bead for the head Rigatone (the big tubes) for the dress A wagon wheel (rotelle) for the collar of the dress Elbow macaroni for the arms A bow-tie (farfalle) for the wings Craft glue/hot glue White/gold craft paint or spray paint Fine tipped permanent pen Glue the wagon wheel to the tube. […]Read More
Know your onions
Got a go-to stew or soup? We’ve got the go-to onion. White onions are like the Superman of onions. Strong and crisp. They’re great for chopping into a tzatziki, or a sambal or sliced up for a toasted cheese & tomato sarmie. The rings are delicious fried up or used raw for boerie rolls and […]Read More
How to cook pasta like an Italian
PSST: Look out for our new pasta bases coming in 2017. • Don’t add olive oil to your pasta when cooking. It won’t stop it from sticking together. • In Italy, the pasta and sauce are always combined in the pot to ensure pasta is coated. • Drain your pasta when it still has a little ‘bite’ (al dente). Add your sauce to the pot and […]Read More
5 FAMILY TABLE GAMES FOR LET’S EAT! NIGHT
These games don’t require much work, but they do offer loads of fun. Once you’ve enjoyed your delicious family meal, have a laugh, create some memories and play one of these awesome table games! WHO AM I? Write different names of celebrities on a piece of paper. Each family member chooses one without looking at […]Read More
How to speed peel a potato
How to speed peel a potato What you need: Pot of boiling water Bowl of ice water Kitchen gloves (or not) Potatoes Knife What to do: Make an incision around the middle of each potato. Place them into the boiling water. When the potatoes have softened (± 15-20 mins), pop them in the ice water […]Read More
Pap is king
This delicious side dish is perfect with any braai. Chargrill your meat, chicken or boerie, make a fresh salad and serve with your Pap-Tert. You’ll have them coming back for more. And more. Recipe Ingredients: 2 cups cooked maize meal 1 can of sweetcorn 250g button mushrooms Packet bacon pieces (fried) 1 can tomato and […]Read More
Fold a rose napkin
This is the perfect way to show some love at the dinner table. A simple rose napkin. They’re so easy to fold even your kids can make them. Go on, make your table extra special tonight. (remember roses come in all shades, so use whatever colour napkins you have at home.) Step 1 Step 2 Step […]Read More
The simple trick to tender succulent chicken breasts
Whether you’re throwing them on the braai or searing them in a pan for a quick weeknight dinner, there is a simple step to getting your chicken breasts super tender. Pound them to an even thickness before cooking. Why? Pounding them breaks down the fibres so that they’re deliciously tender. What’s more, when they’re an […]Read More
Zhush up your lasagne
Create your own family favourite Lasagne Banting? Use thinly sliced marrows instead of pasta sheets. Not Banting? Instead of using sheets, fill crusty hot dog rolls with the sauce, top with cheese and bake for a few minutes. Yum! Pep it up… Throw some sliced mushrooms or peppers into your bolognaise. Lasagne muffins? Oh yes! Place your […]Read More
Meat-Free Monday: Veggie Burgers (serves 6)
Ingredients: For the Veggie Burgers: • 2 cups water • 1 cup quinoa • ¼ cup olive oil, divided • 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, minced • 1 cup broccoli florets, minced • ½ cup fresh corn kernels • 2 carrots, coarsely grated • 1 yellow onion, coarsely grated • 1 cup matzo meal • 2 […]Read More
Celebrate Women’s Day!
Make Women’s Day extra special Spare Rib Marinade Preparation Time: 20 min Serves: 4 Instructions: Add 175 ml COLD water to packet’s contents & stir until smooth. Pierce both sides of meat several times with a fork. Coat meat evenly on both sides & marinate for 20 minutes ONLY. Remove from marinade & grill, […]Read More
Cook with your Kids
Put on your aprons, pull out the pots. Get ready for some great family time in the kitchen. Here are some simple tips on how to cook with your kids. Plan ahead Choose a recipe they love, that’s age-appropriate and not too time consuming. Make sure you have all the ingredients and equipment to hand. […]Read More
Love them or hate them, Microwaves are handy for so much more than just re-heating leftovers. Here are 6 fantastic tips and tricks.Read More
Table Manners 101 to introduce to your young ones…
Can you slurp your soup? How about elbows on the table? Talking with your mouth full? No-no-no! As they say, “manners maketh man” (and woman). So what’s right and wrong when you sit down to eat? Here’s your go-to guide for making dinner enjoyable and socially acceptable. Place your napkin on your lap as soon […]Read More
Want to make supper extra special?
Get your kids to decorate this awesome downloadable placemat and turn your family mealtime into family fun-time!Read More
Conversation starters 101
There’s something very special about sitting down and eating together as a family. Chatting, laughing and sharing really helps us to connect. If, like us, you’re trying to instil a let’s-sit-down-at-the-table as a family tradition, you want everyone to want to join in. We’ve got some cool conversation starters to help liven up the supper […]Read More
Pantry staples we can’t live without.
Life is so much easier when we’re prepared. Which is why having a well-stocked kitchen pantry makes it so simple to put together a quick and delicious meal, chop-chop! Just add fresh veg to your family favourite and you’re sorted! To make it even easier, do a pantry ‘inspection’ at the beginning of each month […]Read More
New ROYCO® Stew Mix adds a burst of flavour to winter stews
Add a burst of flavour to hearty winter stews with new ROYCO® Stew Mix, the first ever stock offering from this trusted food brand and a first on supermarket shelves. Specially formulated for South Africa’s favourite everyday meal, ROYCO® Stew Mix is easy to dissolve unlike most regular stock cubes, guaranteeing lump free cooking with […]Read More
Delicious no fuss meals with new Royco® Recipe Bases
Making delicious family favourites has just become a lot easier with the launch of a brand new Recipe Base range from Royco®, one of South Africa’s most trusted food brands. With these new innovative Recipe Base sauces, Royco® has you covered in the kitchen taking the fuss out of preparing your favourite family meals. A […]Read More
Making time to eat together
Don’t know about you, but with sport, work, school and other commitments it’s difficult to get the family round the table as often as we would like. According to some research from the University of Florida on why eating together is so good for families, they found that not only do family meals promote healthier […]Read More
Sign up to Let's Eat!
For delicious recipes, handy tips & exciting ideas for your family's favourite meals!
Rules for Royco® Let's Eat! Competition ("the Competition")
For delicious recipes, handy tips & exciting ideas for your family's favourite meals!
- This Competition is organised by Mars Africa (Pty) Ltd. and prizes are provided by Mars Africa (Pty) Ltd. The Competition is open to any natural person older than 18 years of age ("the Participant"), residing in South Africa.
By entering this Competition, the Participant agrees to and understands that he or she is
bound by these rules and thereby gives the consents referred to in these rules.
Entry Mechanics: How the Competition works
- To enter the Competition, the Participant must sign up to the Royco® Let'sEat! digital platform either via a Facebook Lead Ad or via the sign-up form at the www.royco.co.za website.
One additional entry will be granted for each friend that a Participant refers via the
sign-up form on the www.royco.co.za website.
General rules: Entry
- A Participant may only enter the Competition by signing up via a Facebook Lead Ad or via the sign-up form at the www.royco.co.za website.
- If a Participant has any questions about how to enter, the rules or the prize draw, he/she may, during business hours, contact Mars Africa at the following electronic mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants may enter this Competition as many times as they like.
- Directors, members, partners, employees, agents or consultants of/or any person who directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by Mars Africa, and any supplier of goods or services in connection with the Competition, and their the spouses, life partners, business partners and immediate family members are not eligible to enter the Competition nor to win the R2 000 Royco® Hamper.
- The Competition is open for entries from 24 June 2016 and will end at 12h00 on 15 August 2016 ("the Entry Period"). Any entries received after the Entry Period will not be valid and therefore not considered.
- Mars Africa shall not be responsible for entries to the Competition that are received after the Entry Period has expired or not received at all for any reason whatsoever including, by way of example only, as a consequence of communications or network failures.
- There is no fee charged to enter the Competition. The winners of the Competition will be determined by a random draw from all the entrants.
- The determination of the winners is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners of the Competition will be contacted telephonically on 16 August 2016 after 9 am.
- Subject to clause 3.11 below, Participants understand that all information (including these rules) relating to this Competition, published on any promotional or advertising material, short message service, online media or electronic mail, at any time before or during the Entry Period, will form part of the terms and conditions of the Competition.
- All warranties and representations in relation to the prizes not set out in these rules (whether express, implied or tacit) are hereby excluded.
Participants (and winners) indemnify Mars Africa, its directors, affiliates,
members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors
against any loss, claims, damages and costs, either direct, indirect, consequential or
otherwise, arising from their participation in this Competition, the provision of the
prizes, or any act or omission of any other person.
- On entering the Competition, participants stand a chance to win a R2 000 Royco® Hamper. There will be 1 winner in total. The prize will be drawn after the Entry Period expires. The draw will take place on 16 August 2016 and Mars Africa will attempt to contact the winners telephonically during business hours on 16 August 2016. Three attempts will be made to contact the winner at the number/email address provided by the Participant on the sign-up form.
- Prizes are not exchangeable for cash and are not transferable.
- A Participant who wishes to claim a prize shall be required to produce proof of identity that is to Mars Africa's satisfaction, to prove that the Participant is the winner and 18 years or older. If a Participant cannot provide proof that he or she has complied with all of the Competition rules to Mars Africa's satisfaction, the Participant agrees that he or she shall not be entitled to the prizes and shall have no claims against Mars Africa.
- Mars Africa confirms that it shall ensure that an independent accountant, registered auditor, attorney or advocate oversees and certifies the Competition results and this will be reported in Mars Africa's internal audit reporting procedures. The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Mars Africa may, with permission of the winners, publish the winners' names and photographs in any advertising, promotional, print, point of sale or public relations material for a period of 12 (twelve) months from the end of the Competition period, without compensation. Participants are entitled to decline this request.
- These rules shall be governed by the laws of South Africa. Each Participant consents to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Western Cape High Court, in respect of all matters arising out of, or in connection with, the Competition or these rules.
- If any provision of these rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, then that provision shall be severed from these rules and the remainder of the rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining provisions.
It is not intended that any provision of these rules contravenes any provision of the
Consumer Protection Act, 68 of 2008 ("the Act"), and therefore all provisions of
these rules must be treated as being qualified, if necessary, to ensure that the
provisions of the Act are complied with.