Bunny chow, is one of South Africa’s favourite dishes…. this simple hollowed out loaf of bread is filled with curry (and is especially delicious when there is LOTS of gravy to soak up!)
Make it with lamb, beef, chicken, mince or vegetables. The choice is yours!
Durban Chicken Bunny Chow
1 Pkt Royco® Durban Curry Wet Cook-In Sauce
1 Tbls oil
500g Chicken breasts (chopped)
2 Peeled, chopped and boiled medium potatoes
Handful chopped green beans
1 Loaf white bread, unsliced (“government loaf”)
Fresh chillies and coriander
- Brown meat in oil in a medium sized saucepan (± 30 cm diameter).
- Pour over Cook-in-Sauce & stir gently.
- Add potatoes and beans
- Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked & tender.
- Cut the bread into two, three or four even chunks, depending on how many people.
- Hollow out all the soft bread and keep it to one side. Leave a thick wall and bottom.
- Ladle the curry into the hollowed out bread, top with coriander and the bread you removed.
(Use this to scoop up your delicious Royco® Durban Curry)
Serve with tomato & onion sambals, beetroot slices, mango achar and freshly sliced onion rings. If you’re brave add fresh chillies or chilli sauce.
Don’t forget: you ALWAYS eat Bunny Chow with your hands!