Lowveld Butter Chicken by Jan Braai
While travelling on the road, you might find yourself in a small town with only the most basic ingredients. The historic mining town of Pilgrim’s Rest was one such place. Nothing in this beautiful place has changed or moved forward for the past 150 years. After a few days of relentless steak braaing, the whole team felt like spicing things up, with the bulk of our ingredients for this recipe being non-perishable and in our supply box. You can whip up quite a feast, no matter how limited the spread at the local store.
- Place your cast iron potjie on the fire and heat the olive oil. Fry the onion until soft and cooked
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and fry until brown and cooked.
- Add the Royco Butter chicken recipe sauce and let it cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, place the lid on and let it simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste, stir through and let it simmer for 5 minutes extra.
- Serve the chicken on top of a bed of basmati rice and garnish with fresh coriander.
- 2 tots olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into blocks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet Royco Butter chicken recipe base
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 packet (50g) Tomato paste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Basmati rice for serving