Road Trip Risotto
While road tripping and braaing every day, you sometimes need a break from all the meat, so a great vegetarian option is always a winner. Risotto is a perfect meal to serve to a big crowd; not only is it comforting but it’s also very easy to make. It’s another recipe with ingredients that are readily available at most shops along the way and will last a few days in a cooler box in your vehicle. You can add bacon or chicken to this recipe, but it is delicious as presented here.
- Heat the oil in your potjie and fry the onion and green pepper until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until soft.
- Add the risotto rice, Royco sauce packets and mix well, let this cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 cups of water, place the lid on and let it simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Lift the lid in between, give it a stir to make sure nothing gets stuck at the bottom. The risotto is ready when all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. If you feel things are a bit dry and risk burning before the rice is cooked, add a extra splash of water and stir that in.
- Serve with fresh chopped spring onions, and for extra bonus points, add grated mature white cheddar cheese.
- 2 tots olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 punnet (250g) mushrooms
- 2 packets Royco Chicken a-la-king recipe base sauce
- 2 cups water
- Spring onions for garnish