When on the road, one of the best ways to get the most out of your trip is to leave early and then stop next to the road and make breakfast. This recipe is a foolproof way to start a great day. Use this as your base for breakfast and feel free to add bacon, salami, chillies and anything that will complement the tomato base. Serve with freshly toasted bread from the fire.
- Heat your oil in the potjie over the fire and fry the onion and peppers until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until soft.
- Add all of the tomatoes and let them simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the brown onion soup powder over the tomatoes in the potjie and give everything a stir to make sure everything is mixed well. Pour the water over and let it cook for about 5 minutes until you are happy with the consistency of the sauce.
- Use your wooden spoon and wedge a hole in the tomato mixture. Break one egg into this hole. Now carefully repeat this step until all your eggs are in the sauce. Place the lid on top and let it simmer for 5 minutes until the eggs are cooked but still soft.
- Serve on freshly toasted bread and season with salt, pepper and fresh parsley.
- 2 tots olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red and yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms, chopped
- 500g mixed tomatoes, halved and chopped
- 2 tots Royco Brown onion soup powder
- ½ cup water
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper