Spatchcock Chicken with Rosemary and Garlic
- QUICK FACTS
- 1 chicken
- 1 packet ROYCO® Chicken dry marinade
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 30ml rosemary, chopped
- To spatchcock the chicken: Remove the backbone with a sharp pair of scissors, by cutting down from each side of the popes nose. Turn the bird over and squash it flat, breaking the breast bone in the process.
- Prepare ROYCO® Chicken Marinade according to packet instructions. Add the garlic and rosemary.
- Marinade the spatchcock chicken for 20 minutes, turning frequently.
- To Cook:
- BRAAI: Heat the braai coals to a medium heat. Place the chicken, skin side down on the braai grid, weight down with a heavy pan or a foil covered brick. Braai for 10-15 minutes until skin is crisp. Turn chicken and braai the other side for another 10-15 minutes.
- OVEN: Place chicken in a roasting tin, skin side down, with the marinade. Roast at 180°C for 30 minutes, turn and roast for another 30 minutes until skin is brown and crisp.
- Serve garnished with rosemary sprigs
Most supermarket butchers will be happy to spatchcock the bird for you.