Bangers & Vegetable Mash Pie
- QUICK FACTS
- 1 kg potatoes cut into chunks
- 250 ml cabbage shredded
- 50 ml milk
- 60 g butter
- 3 ml salt for seasoning
- 3 ml pepper for seasoning
- 12 baby onions
- 12 pork bangers
- 45 ml oil
- 3-4 carrots thickly sliced
- 250 g mushrooms halved
- 20 ml thyme chopped (OR 5 ml dried thyme)
- 1 packet ROYCO® Monkey Gland Sauce
- 1 packet ROYCO® Brown Onion Gravy
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, then add the cabbage to the pot and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain potatoes and cabbage then place back in the pot on the heat. Add the butter and milk, mash until smooth. Season and set aside.
- Place baby onions in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Brown bangers in a little oil, then place in an oven proof dish.
- In the same pan, brown the onions and carrots in a little more oil and add to the bangers.
- Then fry the mushrooms and thyme in a little more oil. Add 600 ml water to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the contents of the packets of ROYCO® Monkey Gland Sauce and the ROYCO® Brown Onion Gravy. Then remove from the heat and whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over the bangers and vegetables.
- Top with the cabbage mash by spooning it over in even dollops to prevent the sauce from oozing.
- Bake in the oven, covered with foil for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes.
This dish can be made as far as step 8, a day in advance.