Barberton Style Sloppy Joe by Jan Braai
- 1 tot olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 500g good quality beef mince
- 1 packet ROYCO® Bolognese pasta base sauce
- 6 fresh bread rolls
- 2 large avocados
- Place your cast iron potjie on the fire and heat the oil. Add the onion and green pepper and fry until soft and cooked.
- Add the beef mince and fry until brown and cooked. Add the ROYCO® Bolognese sauce and mix well. Place the lid on the pot and let it simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, toast your bread rolls over the fire on a grid until golden brown and toasted.
- Now build your sloppy Joe, place a good helping of the mince on top of the toasted bun. Top with slices of fresh avocado and serve.
- For bonus points when doing this at home and not next to a road – add grated cheddar cheese and fresh coriander to your Sloppy Joe when serving.