Lamb & Tomato Potjie
- QUICK FACTS
- 12 lamb chops
- 15 ml oil
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 packet ROYCO® Brown Onion Packet Soup
- 100g green beans, sliced
- Heat a no. 3 potjie pot over moderate coals. Brown the lamb chops in the hot oil, in batches.
- Add 375 ml water, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid, spread the chopped tomatoes over the lamb, then layer the carrots and potatoes on top. Add another 125 ml water if necessary.
- Cover potjie pot with its lid and leave to cook for 1 hour. Add the occasional log to the fire to keep the potjie simmering.
- Mix the contents of the packet of ROYCO® Brown Onion Packet Soup with 250 ml water, and add to the potjie with the beans. Cook, uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Carefully stir the potjie and serve.
Lamb knuckle or neck can also be used in this recipe. This recipe could also be made in a casserole pot in the oven.