Mpumalanga Marrow bones on the fire by Jan Braai
3-5 hours mins
- 8 Marrow bones, cut lengthways
- 1 packet Savoury mince Dry cook in sauce
- Fresh bread
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Place your marrow bones on a grid over hot coals with the bones facing down and the marrow facing up. Season the marrow with the savoury mince spice.
- Turn the marrow bones and let it braai on the marrow (and spiced) side for about 2 minutes until the marrow is browned and the spice toasted.
- Turn the marrow bones over again and let it braai with the marrow side up and bone side down for about 3 -5 minutes, depending on the heat of your fire. You will know that the marrow bones are done when the marrow starts to bubble and pull away from the bone.
- Toast your slices of bread lightly over the fire.
- Scrape the marrow out of the bones, onto the toast, squeeze fresh lemon juice over, add a bit of salt and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.